Get free, no obligation quotes from multiple providers

What People Are Saying

Thanks for making it easy to find the cheapest renters insurance. Knowing our stuff is always protected gives me peace of mind.

Matt and Bethany, Charleston SC

State Farm Insurance Allstate Insurance Farmers Insurance American Family Insurance Unitrin Insurance Travelers Insurance


Finding the best building and contents insurance for your home or rental property can be easy if you know where to look. For most consumers, your home and that which it protects mean the world to you. It's not just about the financial investment. It's about what your investment represents. Your hard work and sound decisions earned that which you own. It may not be the best of everything, but it belongs to you and you want to make sure you have secured insurance to keep what you have-building and contents-protected.

Even the best building and contents insurance isn't going to help you if you don't secure the appropriate policy. Knowing how to find the best building and contents insurance is easy enough, and securing and maintaining that coverage can be easily accomplished as well. For both the landlord and the renter, insurance is essential. Finding the best building and contents insurance takes a bit of investigation, but the small amount of time invested is well worth the payoff.

Begin your search for the best building and contents insurance by requesting quotes for coverage and rates from the top local insurers. Once you have the quotes, compare them for quality coverage. Look further for information regarding any discounts which may be available for you. Review the data until you've balanced the coverage you need and the premiums that fit your budget. Once you have the quote that suits you, begin securing the policy for immediate coverage. Whether you are a landlord or a tenant, you need to obtain the best building and contents insurance as soon as you can.

The Threats to Your Home

Both landlords and renters have much of their investment tied up in buildings and contents of their home. Of course, the landlord is the one who owns the building so he or she would be the one to carry coverage on the building, but the renter, or tenant, needs to protect his or her investment in personal property. Many perils can befall a home, such as flood, fire, theft of property, or several other occurrences which could render your home unlivable and your property destroyed. Should you lose your building or contents, where would you turn? Would you need to start over again? How would you afford to start over if your belongings were all gone?

By finding the best building and contents insurance, you'll protect your financial investment in your building and your contents. You'll also secure liability insurance with the right online house insurance estimate. Liability will protect you, as either the landlord or the tenant, from legal proceedings should a guest in your home suffer injury or damage to his or her property by perceived negligence on the part of the buildings owner or resident. Your guests medical bills will be paid and their property restored or compensated, by the directives of your policy. Liability insurance, in some cases, offers legal counsel as well.

Renter's Insurance

As a renter, you would only seek to obtain coverage on your personal property. This coverage would compensate you in the event of a loss of your possessions due to theft, or destruction. You'll need to make sure your personal property is listed out and a value assigned to each item. Once you've assigned value, add the amounts together and that's the amount for which your insurer will write the policy.

Because, with renter's coverage, you control the amount by what you claim as personal property, you can find an amount to help your premiums remain manageable. However, renters personal property policies aren't expensive-perhaps the cost of a weekly pizza, with everything. It's best to make sure you're not underinsured and left in a bind should you lose everything, but you also want to make sure you aren't inflating the value of your possessions and wasting money by over insuring.

Meeting Your Needs as a Landlord

If you're a landlord, the best home and contents coverage is essential for you. Your rental home is your investment and it's also a source of income. If you depend upon that income, you want to make sure you have the building and any contents you've placed there, insured to the best of your ability. Securing the best building and contents insurance is a worthwhile focus.

The best way to proceed is to assign a value to the contents. Just like your renter, you'll need to inventory any personal property and assign a value to each item. For your building, you'll need to insure the structure only, and not the surrounding acreage, for the replacement amount. This can easily be ascertained by checking with your local builders for estimates.

Secure that Policy

Once you've found the best building and contents insurance, secure your policy. You'll rest easier knowing your investments are protected. Peace of Mind is the best insurance.