Get free, no obligation quotes from multiple providers

What People Are Saying

Thanks for making it easy to find the cheapest renters insurance. Knowing our stuff is always protected gives me peace of mind.

Matt and Bethany, Charleston SC

State Farm Insurance Allstate Insurance Farmers Insurance American Family Insurance Unitrin Insurance Travelers Insurance


Buildings and contents home insurance are both necessary to obtain whether you are a renter or homeowner. Of course, as a renter, the owner of your property will have structural coverage on the buildings he or she owns. But as a renter, it is imperative that you obtain coverage on your contents to provide coverage and replacement in the event your possessions, or contents, are lost or damaged from a fire, flood, or other catastrophe.

Providing buildings and contents home insurance is an inevitable form of security and protection everyone needs to obtain. There are countless risks to your buildings and property every day. The news is filled with stories of damage to property and loss of buildings and contents due to theft or fire. Anyone who's uninsured or renters who've lost their possessions will confirm the need to secure buildings and contents home insurance.

You never know when you will need this valuable form of protection, but you certainly want building and contents home insurance before the time comes when you wish you had it. In order to find this valuable insurance, contact some local representatives for policy quotes. For a very small amount, typically less than you pay for your daily lunch, you'll be able to insure the contents of your apartment, rental home or condominium buildings and have the security of knowing you are protected. Your landlord , or leasing company will maintain buildings and contents home insurance on any buildings they own.

Defining the Types of Coverage

Home owners discuss buildings and contents home insurance while searching comparison site contents coverage as part of the same policy because they own the structure. Renters insurance is something quite different from buildings and contents home insurance for homeowners. Renters insurance can be obtained through the same companies that offer buildings and contents home insurance to homeowners, however, renters coverage provides for your possessions, that which you have moved into the home. Because you're insuring your property only, it's a fraction of the cost of buildings and contents home insurance .

It's a sad fact that most of the people who rent their buildings don't carry contents protection. With price not being a factor, there's simply no reason to leave all that you've worked so hard to obtain to chance. In fact, it's reckless to go without renters coverage. If you haven't yet obtained a policy, there probably isn't really a valid reason why not.

A Renter's Policy

Knowing what renters insurance is and what it covers might just help convince you of it's worth. Renter's insurance protects you against damage or loss of your personal property. When you rent an apartment, house, or condo, the same destruction can befall you as when you own your own home or condominium. Why not protect yourself in the same way, though for substantially lower premiums?

Quite often, your landlord will require you obtain renters protection as a condition of the rental agreement. This is an excellent way ensure that everyone is protected in the event of a fire, flood, or similarly devastating situation. By making it a condition of the rental contract, the landlord is doing the tenant a service.

Determining Your Need

The easiest way to determine the benefit of renters coverage in your life is to make an inventory of all your personal property. Include electronic equipment, jewelry and anything you have of value. Add up the property's worth to you and the replacement cost. Compare that against the quotes you've garnered for your renter's policy and decide if you think obtaining coverage is worth it. You most assuredly will opt for the coverage.

Once you've decided to secure coverage, you'll need to decide on the amount. Once again, refer to your inventory. Don't assume to insure replacement value for only your more costly possessions. If you lose everything in a fire, you'll need to replace everything. You'll also want to compare the replacement cost for certain items against what your policy calls actual cash value. What this means is that you can be compensated the actual value (cost, less depreciation) of , say, your ten year old bicycle, or the amount it would cost you to replace it, which could be substantially higher. If you have some high-end electronics, or a credit card with the furniture store which you're paying off, you should opt for replacement cost.

Deciding on a deductible will have an impact on your rates as well. Again, if you do owe outstanding debt on much of the property of your home, go with a lower deductible, along with replacement value. This may increase your premiums, but it won't leave you cash strapped should something disastrous occur.

Buildings and contents home insurance are both equally important. It's necessary in an unpredictable world to protect yourself to the fullest. Find a renters coverage agent and begin your protection today.