Get free, no obligation quotes from multiple providers

State Farm Insurance Allstate Insurance Farmers Insurance American Family Insurance Unitrin Insurance Travelers Insurance


If you are moving or have moved in the past then you know that you will need to change your address. Filing a change of address form at the post office can make it a lot easier to collect your mail and can make the whole transition of moving into a new area a lot smoother.

United States Postal Service Mail Forwarding

Filing a change of address form actually makes moving a lot simpler and is easier than finding the right moving van, especially if you are moving a fair distance away and cannot simply knock on your old address and collect any mail sent your way. Filing a change of address is normally done through the United States Postal Services. It is not required by law but does come with a number of benefits.

You may need to pay a small fee but the post office will be able to redirect any mail that is forwarded to your old address to your new one. This means you don't have to contact every single person you know and every business that sends you mail and change the address. You can, however, do it this way if you prefer.

One way to change your address is through the United States Postal Service online. You can easily fill out the application from your home computer, saving you a trip down to the Post Office. However, it is a good idea to print off a copy of the recept and the confirmation for your own records just in case there is a problem.

There are a number of questions and information you will need to have on hand when filing out an address change. The first thing you will need to know is whether your move is temporary or permanent. A student, for example, may only need his mail forwarded to his dorm for eight months before moving back in with Mom and Dad. However, if you have moved across the country, this may be for good or for a while at least.

You will be able to request the date in which your mail will be forwarded. If you are not moving until the end of the month, then you can select the end of the month. Additional information that you will need to supply include your name, current address, new address and identification. You may also need to supply a credit card to pay for the fee attached to changing your address through the USPS.

Changing Your Address

When you have moved it is a good idea to let friends and family members that you have moved. Send out a mass email or send a message through Facebook letting everyone know that you have moved and asking them to update their address book.

If you choose not to go through the USPS or if you are only moving a short distance away, then you can take a gradual approach to changing your address. When you are at the bank, at the doctor's office, at the dentist, at the grocery store and at the gym, let the receptionist know that you have moved so they can update their records. In many instances the receptionist may ask you to update your details periodically upon check-in. This will ensure that your mail is actually delivered to the right area.

Even if you are keeping the same postal address you may still find filing a change of address form is still in your best interest. If you have the time, take a few moments and do it online. That way you have one last thing to worry about when moving to a new home.

Learning Center