Get free, no obligation quotes from multiple providers

What People Are Saying

Thanks for making it easy to find the cheapest renters insurance. Knowing our stuff is always protected gives me peace of mind.

Matt and Bethany, Charleston SC

State Farm Insurance Allstate Insurance Farmers Insurance American Family Insurance Unitrin Insurance Travelers Insurance


Flood insurance contents rates are not just one set of compensation amounts that you have to choose from. Rather, there are different amounts that apply to how many floors of your house you are insuring. For example, if you are insuring the main floor of your residence, then you will have the lowest premium. However, if you would like to include the basement, then that will be an additional amount. The same goes for second and third stories that might be included. All of these have their own levels of compensation, home contents coverage rates and deductibles that are involved.

Of course, you can also break this down into particular sections as it applies to your portion of the residence. For example, if you only live on the main floor and roommate actually lives upstairs, you don't have to pay for the flood insurance on the second level. That would be up to the roommate who is subletting from you or using whatever rental agreement you have in place. However, you might choose to put a clause in that rental agreement allowing them to take part in the benefit of the flood insurance policy if they also share in the monthly flood insurance contents rates and costs. This is something you will have to set up directly and not through the flood insurance contents rates provider.

Online Charts for Flood Insurance

An easy way to get a lot of information regarding flood insurance contents rates is to look up online charts. It will give you the complete breakdown of how average contents rates premiums work out for various cities. You can specify whether or not you are including the basement, what the coverage amount should be, and if there are more levels to the home. However, some of these plans may also have a probation surcharge that will be added. You will have to double check with that particular flood insurance contents rates company and see how much that runs, but an average amount is about $50.

There are certain specifications you need to follow as well in terms of whether you're insuring both the building and your personal belongings or just the personal belongings inside. This would be applicable if you are renting your home and you do not actually own the building. It would be up to the landowner to have contents rates for flood insurance on the residence itself, but you can certainly purchase a flood contents insurance rates policy will only cover you or inventory of items. This is where you need to have an accurate value of how much you own and what it would cost you to replace those things brand new.

Hidden Building Spaces

Keep in mind that if you have certain spaces in your building such as crawl spaces or under-stair closets, they may not be included. It depends on how the building is laid out and whether the architectural plans actually show all the various areas. These are details that are applicable to various providers in different ways, so you'll have to ask your flood insurance contents rates company to explain to you how they work with those particular portions of the coverage. Of course, this will also depend on whether you are insuring a commercial building or a residence. There are different rates that apply to both because of the location and the liability risk that is involved, as well as the contents rates financial documentation that is required.

Depending on when you have started shopping around for your flood insurance contents rates, you may find that you are eligible for various programs through the federal government with your flood insurance. These are going to have to be applied for and they are known as preferred risk policies. They usually apply to condominium buildings or apartment buildings, so the option of group coverage can be purchased by the property owner. You can educate yourself more about these by reading through articles online that will break it down into easy-to-understand terms for someone who is unfamiliar with looking at the flood insurance contents rates.

Remember, there are rules that have to be followed when you're going to make a claim with your flood insurance contents rates and one of those is that you must actually reside at the residence if you are going to receive the benefit. When you establish this, you'll be better equipped and the contents claim process is going to start as soon as possible without any unnecessary red tape delays. Anything that reduces this time and difficulty will be worth doing because usually these specific situations are hectic and chaotic enough, before adding on the pressure of trying to replace your personal belongings that you use every day.