Get free, no obligation quotes from multiple providers

State Farm Insurance Allstate Insurance Farmers Insurance American Family Insurance Unitrin Insurance Travelers Insurance


Facing damage to your home is annoying, regardless of whether you rent or own. One of the most common problems that renters across the nation face is flooding. When water gets into your home it can damage the foundation such as the carpets as well as the furniture and your contents. As a renter, if you experience flooding the one thing you need to do is hope that you have renters insurance that covers floods in place. This will save you a lot of heart ache during the next couple of days and weeks as you try to get things back to normal.

When faced with flooding the key is to act fast. Mold works fast and thus you need to be faster. In most instances someone will have to come and professionally clean and remove the water from the foundation to prevent leaks and smells. What this means is as soon as you experience flooding, whether it is a minor flood due to a burst pipe or a major flood due to a natural disaster, you need to contact your landlord or contact your maintenance property manager as soon as possible.

He will most likely come and assess the damage himself before contacting a professional to clean up the mess. In the meantime you can take photos and start moving your items away from the damaged area. If you have renters insurance in place, then lucky you. What this means is that you can assess the damage and put in a claim if you have lost a lot of items and you feel it is worth your while.

Flooding and Renters Insurance Claims

Putting in a claim after a flood is not always necessary depending on what has been damaged. If water has only leaked in the small corner and only damaged one dresser, then it might not be worth the deductible and the higher claims to put in a claim for this one item, especially if it is not very valuable to begin with. However, if your entire living room is now water logged and your items are floating by, then you have a big claim on your hands.

Start slowly and move all the damaged items into one room, making a list of the things that have been wrecked as you go. You will need to put in a claim for these items and gain compensation for them later down the road. Take pictures as you go and try to soak up as much water as you can, if this is possible. Often after a serious flood the damage is just too great. If this is the case, wait for your landlord to get there.

When the damage is really bad you will not be able to live there, at least until everything is cleaned up. Hopefully you have someplace to go. If you have renters insurance check to see if you have loss of use coverage which can pay for some of the accommodation costs to find a new place to live on such short notice. Loss of use coverage can also cover some or all of your moving related expenses for the items that are still okay and you want to bring with you.

Flooding in a rental property can be heart breaking to say the least. But it does happen, especially if you live near a flood plain, on the ground floor, in an older complex or near the beach. Take the right precautions by investing in renters insurance with flood coverage as soon as you make the move.

Learning Center