Get free, no obligation quotes from multiple providers

What People Are Saying

Thanks for making it easy to find the cheapest renters insurance. Knowing our stuff is always protected gives me peace of mind.

Matt and Bethany, Charleston SC

State Farm Insurance Allstate Insurance Farmers Insurance American Family Insurance Unitrin Insurance Travelers Insurance


Home buildings and contents insurance is necessary whenever you are renting a building or your residence from another person. This includes rentals that are either direct rentals or where you are subleasing from the initial renter. It is easy, quick and free to find home buildings and contents insurance online.

When you are the renter you would normally just assume that you would want to just find a renters insurance policy that covers contents insurance only. Though, if you are renting an entire house or other buildings, you may want to consider covering the entire building. You may assume that the landlord, or the house or building owner would carry insurance on their investment, but they may not have proper coverage.

What to Buy and When

Home buildings and contents insurance covers a few aspects of the renters experience, and comparing each contents insurance company is important. For one, covering content on a renters policy pretty much specifies that it is your belongings that you brought in when you moved into the buildings or home. In addition, you may want to cover the buildings and, or home that you are renting or subleasing from the initial renter, because it will cover gray areas more assuredly. Such gray areas can include items such as the water heater, which when that blows, is a big deal and can cause much damage to you and your belongings. If your landlord does not carry contents coverage for a landlord policy, then you have no coverage even if the water heater goes.

If you are also considering covering the house, because you do not know what your landlord has covered, then be aware of a few things. For one, you would not be held responsible if the buildings or home did damage belongings or did harm to someone, within or outside of the buildings and home. Though, you may want the full home and contents insurance to ensure that you are properly covered in the case that a tree branch were to fall through the roof, or window, and cause damage to your contents or to you or a loved one.

It also may help you to get repairs made more quickly if you carried full home buildings and contents insurance if you were renting, and did not necessarily trust your landlord. Though, it pays to find out and ask to see the full, active home buildings contents insurance policy from your landlord because this will help you sleep at night. It will also save you money if you are not going to have to cover more than just the contents insurance, rather than the whole entire home buildings and contents insurance coverage.

Deciding on a Policy

When you are buying a home buildings and contents insurance policy, it is ideal to shop around online first. When you have found a few insurers who cover your area, who fall within budget, make sure you are making a fair comparison. This means that if insurer A is offering both content and building coverage, that insurer B is also offering that in their quote as well. If you find that you have two different birds to compare, find out if you can have one provide a quote with the options that you want. If you only decide to cover content, then request that your quotes only include content coverage.

Likewise, also consider special circumstances that may arise from your climate or region. For instance, if you are in tornado alley, be sure to have home buildings and contents insurance that has an add on of some sort to cover you for tornadoes, if it is offered. Also, if you live in an earthquake prone area, find out whether you can get covered for earthquakes. You probably are already aware if you need hurricane coverage as well. But, do make sure to consider separate flood policies. You may be surprised to find out that much of the damages you could experience might only be covered by flood policies.

When you have decided what coverage, from what carriers, it is time to consider the pricing on your home buildings and contents insurance. If you are looking for a better price, consider altering your deductions, maximums (or limits) on the policy to make the pricing a little bit more manageable for you. In addition, if you cannot raise deductibles any more, then also consider splitting payments up throughout the year, to allow you to pay either in monthly installments or quarterly or half-yearly. Generally, you will receive some discounts for paying all in one lump sum. Consider other discounts that you may be able to receive to save money too. Home buildings and contents insurance is vital if you are renting. Consider shopping online. And, when you have found the right carrier, save money by finding discounts.