Get free, no obligation quotes from multiple providers

State Farm Insurance Allstate Insurance Farmers Insurance American Family Insurance Unitrin Insurance Travelers Insurance


When you sought out the right rental property for you, and perhaps for your family, you most likely considered a number of factors that would reasonably weigh into your long-term comfort. While common considerations at this stage include the condition and modern enhancements of the house, mobile home, apartment, duplex, or townhouse you may rent, along with the safety of the neighborhood and nearby amenities, another factor you probably took into account was how well you got along with the landlord.

Some people feel timid about contacting their landlord with needs or requests. However, throughout the course of your time as a renter, you may need to contact your landlord several times for one problem or another. When there are appliance-related mishaps or other home repair concerns, you will most likely need to contact your landlord. However, you may also need speak with your property's owner when there is a loud party nearby. In most cases, you will find that your conscientiousness and determination to keep a quiet, comfortable neighborhood is greatly appreciated.

Why Tell Your Landlord

At the beginning of your relationship, you and your landlord will spell out the exact nature of your interactions, deciding which of you will deal with the variety of common anticipated repair issues and whether or not it is okay to use organic pesticides. At this time, your landlord may also express his or her preferences for what you should do if there is a loud party in proximity to you. There are a number of considerations that may determine in part whether your landlord is the right person to initially contact upon a noise complaint of this nature. First and foremost, whether yours is a single residence surrounded by property not owned by your landlord.

When you rent property within an apartment or duplex community, for example, owned by a single proprietor, you may find that you approach your landlord with nearly all concerns related to the community. You can ask questions in your initial interview with a potential landlord to ascertain the correct procedure, but commonly in this communal situation, it is preferred that you first contact your landlord rather than the authorities because your landlord is able to efficiently deal with the situation. Most renters will respond to a landlord's warning about noise levels promptly and will never have to know which neighbor initiated the complaint.

When to Report the Party

Another decision is when you should actually bother reporting a problematic noise level. If you are encountering a rare increased noise level from neighbors who, on an average basis, are considerate and reasonably quiet, you may consider letting it slide. If the party is related to a special and nonrecurring event -- a graduation party, for instance -- you might tolerate a night of extra noise in consideration of the fact that it is unlikely to occur again. If you have a positive relationship with your neighbor who tends to host undesirably loud parties on a sporadic basis, you may consider speaking to the neighbor yourself. Sometimes people are merely unaware of how their produced volume travels.

If, however, you feel at all uncomfortable handling a noise complaint neighbor-to-neighbor, or if you are concerned about negative ramifications that may occur following a confrontation, you should involve your landlord. Concerning how loud is too loud, this can be a somewhat subjective matter. You can check rules of your local jurisdiction if you like, but if you find that noise from someone else's residence penetrates your residence making it difficult for you to concentrate or rest, you have a legitimate noise complaint on your hands and should be familiar with reporting parties to landlords.

Learning Center