Get free, no obligation quotes from multiple providers

What People Are Saying

Thanks for making it easy to find the cheapest renters insurance. Knowing our stuff is always protected gives me peace of mind.

Matt and Bethany, Charleston SC

State Farm Insurance Allstate Insurance Farmers Insurance American Family Insurance Unitrin Insurance Travelers Insurance


Second home contents insurance is essential if you own a second property, as a vacation home, or investment property, and rent it out short or long term. Just like your primary residence, safeguarding your investment against possible damage makes good sense and costs little money. Whether you're a landlord or a renter it's always wise to secure second home contents insurance for your own protection and the protection of your property.

Second home contents insurance for the landlord is a special policy designed to guard the landlord against any harm that comes to the leased property's fixtures or any furnishings belonging to the policy holder. Items outside of the structure, such as barbecue grills, lamps, birdbaths and any other yard fixtures are usually not included in the coverage, however, your rental insurer or policy agent can advise you if you seek coverage for these items as well. You would be well advised, if you are seeking second home personal property coverage, to review your policy and understand the coverage before you agree.

Renter Contents versus Landlord Contents

There are two types of contents insurance for your secondary residence. The first type, standard coverage, cover the property up to a specific dollar amount. The home contents policy will need to be specified and listed in the terms of the policy. The need for content coverage for your second residence is obvious. Whether you are renting a furnished beach or vacation home on a short term basis, or an apartment for a 6 or 12 month lease, your investment will be protected from damage or the reckless behavior of your tenant. Landlord personal property insurance is a worthwhile investment and one you should afford yourself.

Typically, a landlord will charge the tenant a security deposit. This is generally enough to provide for turnkey and repair of any normal wear and tear on your rental property. Occasionally, however, an accident will occur-pet damage or destruction which is out of the normal realm, fire damage due to something left unattended on the stove, or an errant candle knocked about-and a second home contents insurance policy, with provisions for accidental losses, will compensate the owner of the property for such losses. Theft, vandalism, and many additional accidents should be covered under your second home contents insurance policy.

Once you make the choice to obtain second residence personal property coverage, you'll need to determine the amount of your coverage and your deductible. Only you can make the decision about how much you will need to compensate in the event of serious damage, however, keep in mind that your tenant's security deposit will go toward some of the damage, and unless it's obliterated, repairs and replacement for items in your second home should be manageable. You should insure the maximum on appliances and things like your hot water heater and heating and cooling system. Having insurance on your property will provide you with peace of mind.

As a renter, obtaining coverage on the contents of the second home you are renting is a wise decision indeed., If you find yourself needing temporary housing while you and your family relocate to a new city and find your new home, you'll want to maintain personal property insurance. Check with an insurance agent who specializes in renters insurance to secure your policy. A renters policy is not that costly and second home contents insurance provides peace of mind for the renter as well.

Obtaining a Renters Policy

A renters policy isn't that difficult to obtain. In most cases you can secure your coverage instantly. Find quotes for both coverage and rates online and use these quotes to compare so you can shop for the best deal. Remember, however, the cheapest rates don't always provide the best coverage. Remember you'll want easy to access customer service in the event of a disaster. If this is your second home contents insurance, you may be able to qualify for a discount with the company which insures your primary residence.

As with any type of policy, review it before you accept the insurer's word. Your policy will provide for replacement in the event of theft or loss of property, but what about smoke or water damage? Make sure you understand your limits and if these limits are not satisfactory, find out if you can make changes. No second home contents insurance coverage should be a one-size-fits-all proposition.

As with your primary home's personal property portion of the homeowners coverage, inventory all your contents before deciding on an amount. Your second home contents insurance should be every bit as thorough as your primary residence personal property coverage. Consider the replacement value of your possessions. You may need to spend a bit more to secure replacement value, but you'll find it's worth it.